Basketball players are highly prone to injuries from the constant wear and tear from jumping, hopping, and running. Basketball players are often down with injuries. Some injuries have even been career-threatening ones. The most common injuries that basketball players are prone to are knee and ankle injuries.
For this article, we will be focusing on ways to prevent knee injuries. Knee injuries are something that affects players of any sport that require constant jumping, in this case, a game like basketball.
Scary, right? However, what if there was a way around this. The no-compromise solutions to this problem of basketball are knee-pads.
Knee pads act as additional security against knee collisions. This helps you reduce the chances of injuring yourself on the basketball court.
The knee pads can also prove to be great rehabilitation devices for players who are recuperating from injuries and are allowed to play a little bit of basketball.
In this article, we'll be focusing on the best buys when it comes to knee pads.
Best Basketball Knee Pads
Are you an injury-prone player who always has a slight niggle with his knee, irrespective of what measures for rectification are taken? Then the Techware Pro Knee Compression Sleeves are the perfect pick for you.
Firstly, its primary job is to apply pressure on your knees to coalesce the underlying tissues. That surely helps you protect yourself from having a significant jerk and the consequences.
The most primary aspect of these pads is the Patella Gel Pad. It contains a thick substance that provides support and exerts pressure on the patella, i.e. the knee cap. It also possesses stabilizer pads to provide additional support.
These pads come in five different sizes. You can choose a size, depending on the calf and thigh size. However, users can also go for a smaller size to provide more knee-compression or vice-versa.
Another major factor of sleeves is the breathability. If the material is not breathable, the knee will slip, causing friction or a sore knee. Also, the inner end of the sleeve needs to stick to the knee to prevent slipping.
The Techware Pro Knee Compression Sleeves does just that. It has a breathable mesh-like exterior to prevent sweating. On the inside, it has silicone slips to provide slipping.
The sleeves can be used for a list of sports like cycling, sports, tennis, soccer, and so on. The sleeves have an intuitive grip and instantly adapt to the knee when worn. Hence, it doesn't need any adjusting. It can also be used for patients recuperating from arthritis and other knee injuries to reduce inflammation and pain.
- The Patella Gel Pad and the stabilizer pads provide extra support to the knee cap.
- The sleeves are made of a breathable material, allowing comfortable play.
- The sleeves have an intuitive grip and require no adjusting.
- Provide no support against collisions. Not an ideal choice for forwards.
- MORE FEATURES THAN JUST A COMPRESSION SLEEVE Stabilizer Bars & Patella GEL PAD Adds EXTRA SUPPORT and Compression To The Knee Area for PAIN RELIEF Help and INJURY RECOVERY.
- CHOOSE FIVE SIZES FOR BEST FIT Measure BOTH THIGH and CALF Circumference at 5.5” From the CENTER of the PATELLA. Available in Small, Medium, Large, X-Large, XX-LARGE. See Size Chart. Mens & Ladies.
- BREATHABLE KNITTED SOFT FABRIC WITH NON SLIP SILICONE STRIPS For Cycling, Tennis, Crossfit, Volleyball, Jogging, Powerlifting, Skateboarding, Triathlon, Walking, Hiking, Wrestling, Skiing, Golf, Soccer, Zumba, Climbing, Gymnastics, Weightlifting, Yoga, Squats, Baseball, Football, Bodybuilding, Martial Arts, Runners, Dance, Gym Workouts, Exercising and Other ATHLETIC Fitness SPORT.
- COMFORT WRAP SUPPORT AND PAIN RELIEF Makes it Ideal For Every Day Use for MENISCUS TEARS, ACL, PCL, MCL Injuries, Swelling, ARTHRITIS, BURSITIS, TENDONITIS and Post Surgery Protection. Also PREVENTS Injuries and REDUCES Inflammation. Get Back to Enjoying Your Activities.
- CUSTOMER SATISFACTION GUARANTEE Tech Ware Pro Knee Compression Sleeve Brace is the BEST for Pain Relief and Sports Injury Recovery. 30 Days to Make Sure The Product Meets These Expectations.
This one is for the attacking forward on the court, who keeps on clashing into opponents or is the most likely to get fouled by opponents. Just like the name suggests, the Nike Essentials Volleyball Knee Pads are essential for such players.
The best feature of the Nike Essentials Knee Pad is the ergonomic design of the knee pad. The knee pad is designed in such a way that once the wearer wears it, the pads adapt efficiently. The user won't feel the pads unless and until he collides into someone or falls.
The exterior of the knee pad has a simple design and bears no complexity since its only job is to protect the knee cap from contusion. As a result, the knee pad requires no complicated methods of application or anything of that sort. This simple design also gives the pad a very stylish and premium look.
The interiors are lined with the trademark Dri-fit technology of Nike, which absorbs any sweat that is formed. This provides no knee friction.
- The Knee Pads are effective against any form of collision.
- The interiors are lined with sweat-absorbing Dri-fit material.
- Possesses a simple design but comes along with a premium look.
- It does not protect from ligament injuries caused by jumping and straining.
- Low profile ergonomic high density protective foam pad
- Simplified outer design for a minimalistic and streamlined look
- Improved interior Dri-Fit liner is more comfortable
If you are one of those of swift forwards who's always had a niggle with his knees but also needs protection from knee collisions and contusions, then the Coolomg EVA Pads Long Sleeve Protector Gear is the ideal pick for you.
This gear tries to strike is a hybrid between sleeves and pads. As sleeves, it provides knee compression and support. As a pad, with its hexagon-shaped protectors, embedded with EVA technology foam, protects against any sort of collision.
The sleeves are relatively long and provide support to the lower thigh and the upper calf area as well. They are made of high-grade resin and polyester to reduce tearing of the sleeves.
For users with a funky taste in fashion, the Coolomg sleeves are available in multiple colors and graphic designs. Some of the available designs are the galaxy, the British flag, and many more. The ink used is environmentally friendly.
- Strikes a good balance between knee protection and knee support.
- EVA Pads make good and firm protectors.
- Available in a lot of colors.
- The gear doesn't perform well in sweat absorption.
- Package Included:Pair (2PCS).Thanks for the suggestion and support from all our COOLOMG customers.According to the former data we have updated the size chart on 3/26/2018.Hope to bring you excellent expreience.
- Material:High Quality Soft & Elastic Polyester Fabric,Nice workmanship. EVA Pads Protector.Mix resin to reduce tear;
- Coolomg Print Technology - Using Environmental Italian Ink, safe and soft for you or your kids skin, no fade after washes. (Machine washable and dryable, hand wash and air-dry is highly recommand)
- Fit tensile strength for basketball,baseball,football,outdoor & indoor etc. Sun protection over 98%.
- Coolomg Care Plan: if the item you recieved have any problem,just contact us and send pictures to us, Coolomg would be free to send same item to you.
If you are one of those players who sweat it out on the court and off it, all day long, then the McDavid Hex Knee Pads Compression Leg Sleeve is the ideal pick for you.
The primary feature that differentiates this gear from all other gears on this list is the moisture wick technology. The technology is lined against the interiors; this gear performs exceptionally well at sweat absorption. This feature keeps the equipment from slipping and thus, prevents knee friction.
The protectors have the company-patented hexes to provide comfortable yet reliable protection against crashes. It also has an intuitive grip to stick to your knees firmly.
It is also firmly long, protecting the legs for cuts and scrapes. As sleeves, the McDavid Hex Knee Pads Compression Leg Sleeve compresses your muscles and keeps them warm, preventing soft injuries from cold muscles.
- The embedded Moisture Wick technology absorbs sweat efficiently.
- The length of the gear protects the legs from cuts and scrapes.
- The patented hex technology provides good protection against knee collisions.
- It cannot be used for knee-rehabilitation.
- PATENTED HEX PROTECTION - Closed cell foam padding protects your knees from high impact activities and sports
- MOISTURE WICKING TECHNOLOGY - Keep Cool & Dry with advanced hDc Moisture Management Tech
- DURABLE FOR DAILY WEAR - 9mm Hex technology is a favorite among pro and collegiate athletes for its reliable durability
- ENHANCED FIT AND COMFORT - extended length of sleeve protects leg from scrapes and cuts, non-slip material stays in place and doesn't chafe
- COMPRESSES WITH CONFIDENCE - Warm muscles = happy muscles, happy muscles mean reduced fatigue and cramping, so you can go faster and stronger
If you are one of those users who prioritize flexibility over anything, but could also use mild to moderate support, then the Bodyprox Protective Knee Pads and Collision Avoidance Knees Sleeves are the best options for you.
The best feature of this gear is the flexibility it offers. The sleeves' length is sufficient to offer a certain degree of protection to your knees but not long enough to restrict movement.
The protector is also made up of soft foam and sponge to prevent trapping of the knee because of rigidity. This makes it ideal for outdoor sports like cycling which requires a lot of freedom of movement.
The material used is high-density foam which absorbs any sweat that is formed. This makes the gear anti-slippage and great for usage in heavy sports.
However, the gear is not adept for high-intensity basketball.
- It offers a great deal of flexibility.
- The protective sponge and foam make it weightless.
- It is effective at sweat absorption
- It provides moderate protection against collision, which is not ideal for high-intensity basketball.
- 1 Pair Kneepads (Left and right), Unisex design, two sizes available. Polyester 45%/ Rubber 25%/ EVA 30%, Latex Free.
- Your Safety is Our Priority-made of high-density strengthen foam, good elasticity, breathable fabric keeps skin dry, and more comfortable.
- Ergonomic design, super lightweight, provides freedom of movement. An ideal knee protector for outdoor sports.
- Protect and Prevent knee injuries during exercise. Keep warm, prevention and reduction of stiff muscles and joints. Effectively impact resistance, increase blood circulation.
- Great Grip, Non-Slip Feature! Easily put the knee pads on and forget that you had them on! That’s how comfortable it is whilst in use. No constant re-adjustment needed as it firmly hugs the knee!
Best Basketball Knee Pads Buying Guide
The ideal knee pads vary from one player to another. Your knees absorb the shock when you jump and land. They stabilize the legs and enable you to make quick changes in direction.
As a basketball player, it is important to know the qualities of the best basketball knee pads.
In this article, we'll focus on the knee pads that are ideal for avoiding knee injury, the ones that cushion your knees. The best knee pads also decrease the discomfort caused by persistent pressure on the knees, while playing. Knee pads allow the players to play with a heightened sense of security.
Fit and Length
The knee pads must have a proper fit. You must choose the right size so that they do not slip away or squeeze your knees. To buy the right size, make sure to measure around the knee. The fit must ensure proper blood circulation.
Many seasoned players suggest buying the ones with a longer length. Longer knee pads give you extra compression. The longer sleeve prevents the rolling down in the thigh area and scrunching up around the beginning of your knee.
Select the knee pads, which have high flexibility. A few of them softer around the knee area and adjust to the shape of your knee. This feature makes you feel like you are not wearing any knee pads at all. A few of the knee pads provide adjustability of the size.
Material of the Knee Pads
Choose the knee pads which are comfortable on your skin. Different people have different materials that suit your skin. Make sure to choose the one which leaves your leg dry. Breathe-able material will empower you to play the game with high focus.
You will stress your patella tendon or the knee region while playing the game. Thus, knee pads must hold the knee in place and distribute the pressure exerted to all the areas equally. These should also protect and provide support to the meniscus of your knee.
Thickness of the Pad
If pads are thick, there are lesser chances of sustaining an injury. Thicker knee pads help in the absorption of shock better. The thickness, along with the lightweight, will be more comfortable for you to have.
Stable Knee Pads
Anti-slip silicone prevents the slipping of your knee pads. Stability of these will propel you to jump quickly.
The elasticity of the knee pads and the material needs to be durable. Durability is the first feature to look at before you buy knee pads.
Types of Knee-Pads:
Basketball knee pads come in different types
• Long sleeve knee pads: These knee pads have a lesser chance of displacement while playing. They provide more stability and grip. If you fall down, greater stability is offered.
• Short sleeve knee pad: These knee pads extend support to the areas just above and below the knee. They provide grip to a smaller portion.
Consult a physiotherapist before using them if you are worried if they are suitable for you and provide maximum benefits.
FAQS on the Best Basketball Knee Pads
Some of the most frequently asked questions on basketball knee pads are as follows.
Can I avoid wearing knee pads while playing basketball? Why do basketball players wear knee pads?
It is ideal for wearing basketball knee pads. Knee pads help you to avoid the most injuries while playing basketball. Knee sprain or strain, ligament tear, meniscus (cartilage below the knee) tear, Jumper's knee are the most common knee injuries.
Knee pads give you extra propelling power during a jump and are shock-absorbant, thereby ensuring better performance. Knee pads support the knee and heal the injury faster. Knee pads prevent injury from other players and the ground.
Can you wear volleyball knee pads for basketball?
The knee pads of volleyball are large and protect mainly the knee region. They are useful for digging and diving while playing volleyball. Whereas, the basketball knee pads are longer and protect the knee caps and shins. Basketball knee pads support the knees and legs as well as prevent injuries from other players also.
Basketball knee pads have a high range of flexibility and mobility, as it involves knee joints more than in volleyball.
How tight should a knee pad be?
The basketball knee pads need to have a comfortable fit. Very tight knee pads will hinder proper blood circulation and discomfort. You will have to keep pulling up the knee pads if they are too loose. Hence, choose a knee pad that is snug.
The ideal knee pad is the one that is not easy to pull down below the knee. The knee pad must not be tight in the calf muscle area. Measure the knee size before buying the knee pads. This will enable you to buy the right pair.
Leg sleeves vs knee braces vs knee pads - What should I choose?
It is ideal to choose a knee sleeve when you are suffering from pain in the knees. Knee sleeves give greater stability to the injured area.
Knee braces protect the knees from future injuries. It is ideal to use them after you have recovered from a previous injury.
Knee pads prevent injury and protect the knees. They are ideal to use during regular basketball sessions. They provide support to the patella and meniscus, thereby improving performance.
What type of knee pads are ideal for basketball?
Knee pads that absorb sweat are friendly to the skin and do not irritate. The knee pads for basketball are longer and also cover the entire knee.
The best knee pads provide padding to the knee caps, meniscus, and upper shins. Thick knee pads prevent injuries from falling. Knee pads made of breathable fabric are ideal for all sports.
How can I clean my basketball knee pads?
It is better to hand-wash the basketball knee pads. Dirty knee pads cause irritation and allergy. Make sure to use cold water for washing, as hot water will damage its elasticity. A mild detergent and low heat to dry will not damage the fabric.
We believe that knee pads are one of the most important gears in a basketball player's kit. It is one of those few accessories that have a direct impact on the level of performance of the basketball player.
A good knee pad can help a player in many ways; however, a bad knee pad might only harm the player in all the possible ways. Thus we have tried to help you find the best one for you. But we also need to mention that your basketball shoes are key to the health of your knee, whether you have flat feet, wide feet or a condition like plantar fasciitis)
Although, for most other products we do feel that the user comfort varies, we have, in our days of research on this article found out that almost all those who are ardent basketball players have a common range of liking when it comes to the knee pads.
You still should decide on the knee pad after deciding on your body structure, style of play, and the area of the court that you dominate.
We hope that we have been able to provide you with a clear understanding and answers to many of your questions about the knee pads. Thus trying to make sure that this critical gear does help you maximize your practice and performances in any possible way.