Statistics show that ankle injuries account for around 42% of the injuries suffered by basketball players. These injuries include sprain, or worse, fractures, and can keep you away from the court for a very long time.
The sport involves lots of physical movements and leaps and jumps; hence, it essential for your ankles to have some sort of physical support during landing to prevent it from being twisted.
There are a variety of options for good basketball shoes for ankle protection. However, your choice should depend upon several factors such as your position in the game, the material with which the court is built, the comfort level you are looking for, your body type and size, and various other factors.
Nevertheless, here is a list of the best basketball shoes for ankle protection, so that you don’t have to stop playing your favorite sport.
Best Basketball Shoes For Ankle Support
Nike Air Force 1 was originally released in 1982 and was the first Nike model to feature the “Air-cushion” technology.
This legendary basketball sneaker was designed by Bruce Kilgore and named after the aircraft that carries the President of the United States of America. Air force 1 is Nike’s most popular sneaker to date and has been produced in nearly 2000 different shades and available in low, mid, and high-top models.
The good old Nike Air Force 1 still claims the top spot in the department of ankle support and features a high-top cut, thus allowing you to play as long as you can without hurting your ankles. It still remains fashionable and is an excellent addition to your sneaker collection.
The Nike Air Force 1 high-top model has a full-length “AirSole” cushioning, thus providing you exceptional comfort during the game by efficiently absorbing the jerks and shocks during jumps. Also, the traditional lace closure that runs up the entire shoe allows a secure and tight fit of the shoes and a slip-free closure.
Given its features and the level of comfort the Nike Air Force 1 high-top model provides, people have found it very affordable. The users have praised how easy it is to clean and maintain, and that the building material is very premium.
- Exceptional comfort owing to the full length “AirSole” cushioning.
- Given its features, buyers have found them affordable.
- The sneakers are easy to maintain and clean.
- The building material is premium.
- The model provides maximum ankle support.
- The sneakers have an appealing style and a variety of color choices.
- Some users have complained that the shoes crease easily and do not hold their structure well.
- Some users feel more effort is required to put the shoes on and off.
Look no further than the Nike Men’s Air Visi Pro VI if you are looking for a shoe that handles your quick first step well. These sneakers provide a sleek, supportive upper and a well-cushioned ride that keeps you comfortable up and down the court.
The Nike men’s Air Visi Pro VI provides impact cushioning, allowing better and efficient absorption of shocks during the game and enabling you to reach great heights. This model provides multi-directional traction, allowing you to have a stable grip to the ground and making as many cuts and leaps you require to win the game.
The shoes also have a much-required herringbone pattern, which flexes based on your movements, and provides higher traction. The asymmetrical foam collar allows the shoes to fit comfortably. The Nike Air unit provides the impact cushioning for better shock absorption.
The perforations at the forefoot allow breathability for your feet, thus preventing the accumulation of sweat and germs on your feet. The breathable mesh bootie inside the shoe allows for a snug, sock-like fit.
- Lace-up closure for a better and secure fit.
- Internal mesh bootie allowing the shoes to fit like a sock.
- Better ankle support.
- Nike Air heel technology provides impact cushioning.
- Forefoot perforations promote breathability for your feet.
- Premium build quality and high durability.
- Some customers have complained that the shoes make a squeaky sound.
If you are still looking for your ideal and those invincible pair of shoes for your next basketball match, you’ve just found it, as these shoes can be your best companion on the court.
The Beita High Upper basketball shoes feature a one-piece solid rubber outsole with a herringbone pattern throughout, providing torsional rigidity and exceptional lateral movement and stability, and supports your weight efficiently.
The shoes also offer breathable material, perforations, and mesh design to increase ventilation and reduce the accumulation and sweat on your feet and thus preventing infections.
They are also very lightweight as compared to other high-top basketball shoes and thus allow efficient and swift movements during the game, whichever position you play.
The molded heel shield allows better absorption of impact on your heels and thus provides efficient protection. They also include ankle support to lock your foot in place, and thus helps lessen any ankle injury. The shoes are durable and wear-resistant.
- High comfort, durability, and wear resistance.
- Herringbone pattern provides better traction and torsional rigidity.
- Shoes provide higher breathability and increase ventilation.
- Lightweight in comparison to other high-top shoes.
- Efficient shock absorption.
- Good ankle support for ankle protection.
- Very economical price.
- The quality of the upper is a bit on the lower side.
- It runs a size bigger.
- ★ Rubber damping sole in net shape provides you with strong groud holding in accordance with the sole force position and supports your weight
- ★ Breathable, lightweight textile upper and the molded heel shield make greater structure, lock your foot in the right place and protect your ankle from injury by offering better support
- ★ Durable, wear resistant & and anti-slip material make our product your best choice on the court to win the game
- ★ The upper with venting holes offers good breathability and sweat perspiration to make you feel dry and comfortable during exercise
- ★ If any dirt or damaged product upsets you or for some reason you’re just not happy with the one you received, don’t hesitate to contact us, we are always here to help and provide you with the best after sale service!
Another variation of the legendary Nike’s Air Force 1, the legend continues to live. Nike Air Force 1 ’07- Men’s ( although they could also be worn by women ) combines classic style and modern details. The low design offers a classic look and an optimum soil adhesion. It features ripped leather edges for slimmer, cleaner lines, and more refined details.
The leather and the upper fabric includes external layers positioned at strategic points for higher durability and support.
The shoes are low-cut and help reduce the strain on your spine and legs, allowing you to have your basketball practices as long as you want without worries. The model also features the recognizable Swoosh branding and high profile rubber sole and has a lace closure for extra support and extra stability.
The shoes also feature Nike’s well-known air cushioning at the heels providing you with all the comfort you need for your feet. Nike’s Air Force 1 has been the staple of the street from the time it was launched and is one of the most-worn shoes ever. It has a clean and simple, yet bold look, making it a true classic.
- Available in a variety of materials with many color choices.
- Perforations on the toe box and quarter panels increase breathability.
- Nike’s air cushioning in the heels for comfort and impact reduction.
- Rubber cup-sole supplying traction and durability.
- A bit heavier as compared to other low-top shoes.
- Lesser ankle protection because it is a low-top model.
Show your respect to the game while keeping classic, everyday style on point, with the Reebok Men’s Royal BB 4500 HI2 sneakers. These mid-top basketball shoes for men are sure to be an instant favorite for everyone.
The blended leather and mesh upper weighing provide extreme comfort for your feet. Moreover, a removable sock liner keeps your feet happy all day long.
These sneakers sure gain the upper hand when it comes to comfort, with the removable EVA foam sock liner that it provides. The shoes also have a durable rubber outsole that provides the much-needed traction on the court and also helps you transfer the weight easily while on the court, thus maintaining stability.
The product has a mid-cut design that adds stability and provides support for your ankles, thus allowing you to play as much as you want without any risk of injuries.
- Has a durable rubber outsole for traction.
- Mid-top design for ankle protection and added stability.
- Removable foam sock liner for added comfort.
- Several color variants and a premium look at an economical price.
- It is a bit heavy due to the mid-top design.
- DURABLE AND LIGHTWEIGHT MATERIAL: These game sneakers feature leather and mesh upper for a blend of support and breathability
- EFFICIENT FOOT SUPPORT: These stylish trainers feature high abrasion rubber outsole adds durable responsiveness and lasts many jogs and games
- REMOVABLE ORTHOTICS INSERT: This footwear features removable EVA sockliner accommodates orthotics and offers cushion
- COMFORTABLE AND STURDY DESIGN: This footwear features mid-cut design for added stability and support around the ankles
- HIGH-PERFORMANCE SPORTS SHOES: Ideal for daily, casual wear, basketball, and athleisure
Best Basketball Shoes For Ankle Support Buying Guide
Before you buy the basketball shoes for ankle support, you might want to consider the factors deciding as to which ones would be best for you. The first being your position in the game which will decide if you must go for high, low, or mid-top shoes, and the second being whether you play on an indoor or outdoor court, which decides the type of outsole suitable for you.
Also, take into consideration how much cushioning you would require, the material of the shoes, and the ventilation it provides. Once you are thorough with what kind of basketball shoes you require, you are ready to rock the sport.
For a basketball match, if the on-court action is not enough, players have to vigorously train as well to bring their A-game to every match.
These brutal schedules often result in debilitating injuries. However, amongst several precautions that can be taken against these injuries, using ankle-protective shoes is the number one precaution.
Here are the features that one should look for in the ideal shoes for ankle support.
The Type Of Shoes
There are three types of shoes, mainly –high-top, mid-top, and low-top shoes.
High top shoes are those which cover the ankle and beyond. Mid-top shoes go up to the ankle, whereas low-top shoes don’t cover the ankle at all.
High top shoes provide the most amount of protection to the ankle but restrict flexibility. The low top shoes provide the least ankle protection by allowing maximum ankle flexibility. Mid-top shoes try to strike a chord in the middle.
Players should decide the type of shoes based on the level and position at which they usually play.
The ankle collar is the protective patch around the shoe surface that covers the ankle area.
A high ankle shoe has a wider ankle collar to provide the utmost protection to your ankles but restricts movement on the ankle to some extent. Hence, there is lesser flexibility.
Low ankle shoes have very thick ankle collars to provide minimal support to your feet but a great deal of flexibility.
Mid ankle shoes have mid-sized ankle collars and try to strike a balance between flexibility and the support provided to your ankle.
The outsole cushioning near the back end of the foot provides support to your ankle, especially when you are jumping.
Explaining a little bit of physics, when a player jumps, he leverages his toes to launch, whereas, when he lands back on the ground, he lands on his ankles. That’s where the lower end cushion steps in to absorb the shock and protect your ankle.
If there is nothing to absorb the shock, the ankle will bear the pressure every time you jump and land, creating a possibility for injuries. So more the cushioning near the back end, more the support your ankles get.
The Fit Of The Shoes
The shoes you wear while playing a match or while practicing should be tight-fitting to your feet, but not so tight also that your legs don’t get to breathe.
When the shoes are too loose for you, your feet will keep sliding, causing friction between your shoe and ankle.
When the shoes are too tight, again, there will be friction between the shoe and the ankle. This is absolutely not healthy for your feet.
FAQs on Best Basketball Shoes For Ankle Protection
What type of shoes should players with different positions in the field wear?
Guards require quick movement on the court; hence, low-top basketball shoes are ideal since they can help with fluid movement, though the ankle support provided by them is lesser.
Forwards are the most aggressive players in the game, and this position involves a great deal of jumping and leaping. Hence, high-top basketball shoes are required. Although they have more weight, provide additional coverage and more ankle support.
For all-round players, mid-top basketball shoes are more suitable as a hybrid of low and high-top basketball shoes. These allow more flexibility than the high-top shoes and better ankle protection than the low-top shoes, and hence, provides a comfortable middle ground.
How helpful is traction an attribute to the shoes?
When talking about basketball shoes, nothing is more important than traction, other than ankle support. Since the game involves lots of cutting, slashing, stopping, and other quick moves, it is essential to have a stable ground grip to make these moves efficient.
There is a huge difference between the shoes designed for indoor and outdoor games when it comes to basketball shoes. Shoes designed for indoor courts with wooden flooring have a finer thread pattern, whereas those designed for outdoor courts have deep grooves to handle rougher surfaces and provide a stable grip on those surfaces.
The outsole made of rubber or other synthetic material is the point of traction for the shoes. Look for outsoles that use a hexagonal or pattern for added grip, and at the same time, go for a wide and flat outsole to provide maximum balance.
Is cushioning an important factor in basketball shoes for ankle protection?
Cushioning has little to do with ankle protection but is a very important attribute to look for in basketball shoes. Better cushioning helps efficient shock absorption during the landing process after a jump and can thus improve the fitness, comfort, and rebound of the shoes.
Cushioning is provided by the midsole of the shoes and is vital for comfort and joint protection. Look for pressurized air cushioning for better comfort.
What is the mechanism of ankle protection?
Researches show that ankle sprains are the most common orthopedic injuries and, in large part, caused by shoes themselves owing to the geometry of our feet. Shoes with ankle protection use an “internal brace-slash-tape mechanism,” which is built into the walls of the shoes and keeps the shoe secured to the foot.
Here, in this article, we have tried to handpick some of the best basketball shoes for impressive ankle support to the users. We have tried to weigh in the various options and provide a very honest and balanced review based on personal experience and reviews that we have collected from people who have used the product.
With the various options that we have listed, we have tried to have the most exclusive set of shoes for you, so that you would get your needs satisfied.
However, we do understand that the needs of every person vary from another, and just for the same, we request you to have a trial on the shoes before zeroing on with your choice.