How much do you love basketball? Do you love it so bad that you can't wait to play regularly with your family members and friends in the comfort of your home?
Then, it’s time to consider buying the best in ground basketball hoop. It makes sense to do so because permanently installing one means you no longer have the challenge of removing the hoop now and then. You can also practice whenever you want.
But finding an in-ground basketball hoop that is right for your needs isn’t a walk in the park. It takes diligent research to find the best but not everyone has the time to search the market for individual products to compare.
That’s why I've created this review to help buyers like you decide what investment is worthwhile for them.
I have put together a list of 5 highly recommended in-ground basketball hoops together with a buying guide. The buying guide will help you make a good decision, especially if you are new to this. So, read to the end to find out everything you need to know.
Best In-Ground Basketball Hoops
OUR TOP PICK
This sturdy in-ground system is such a great product and deserves to be among the most recommended basketball hoops. Passionate players will love the Lifetime 71524 XL built with height adjustment capabilities, as well as a professional-looking backboard measuring 54 inches. I
ts pro rim comes with double compression rings that make you enjoy dunking, especially if you like to dunk strongly. The rim is stable enough and the weather-proof nylon net can withstand hard dunking.
Top-quality Makrolon polycarbonate is used for the blow-molded backboard frame and gives you total protection against basketball backdrops.
It is shatterproof and can withstand players who ball with a very high level of intensity. It also comes with a very strong basketball hoop pole made of steel and fused with powder protection. So, what we have here is a quality hoop.
I also like its rust resistance capabilities and that's because of the powder coating of the pole and steel rims to avoid rust and corrosion.
The design of the 71524 XL isn’t so complex which means you shouldn't have a hard time putting it together. You don't need extra help except when you want to mount it into cement. The manufacturer also covers this product with a limited warranty of 5 years making it a worthwhile investment.
- Durable nylon net
- Slam it-pro rims
- Power lift to raise or lower the rim
- Shatterproof backboard
- Dunking produces a weird sound when fixed inadequately
- Durable in-ground basketball goal designed for rugged, high-intensity play
- 54-inch pro-look backboard made of sturdy Makrolon polycarbonate for shatter-proof action
- Power Lift Height Adjustment Mechanism easily adjusts from 7.5 to 10 feet using one hand
- Slam-It Pro Rim with double-compression springs for dunking; all-weather nylon net
- Blow-molded backboard frame pad for protection; Backed by a 5-Year Limited Manufacturer Warranty
Next on this list is another highly recommended in-ground basketball system that guarantees sturdiness, as well as stability and safety. High-density foam makes up the hoop which is then covered in a very durable nylon net that will serve you for years no matter how aggressive your playing style is.
You will also find a backboard pad for this adjustable basketball system to protect around the rims and provide cushioning.
That way, players can stay safe from coming in contact with the basket on a one-on-one basis. Another good safety feature is the pole pad that caters to aggressive dunking.
It is also easy to assemble this in-ground basketball goal but you will need an extra hand because the basketball hoop isn't so lightweight. You can install the system into concrete directly and rest assured that corrosion is almost impossible because of the extra powder coating.
Yes, you get 5 years of warranty from the manufacturer as well which protects you in the long run.
- Tempered glass backboard
- 2-foot overhang
- The rims are powder coated
- Rim height adjustability
- In-ground rust protection
- Breakaway rims for aggressive dunking
- Relatively high pricing
- ARENA-STYLE PERFORMANCE - Premier in-ground basketball goal offers the performance of gymnasium-style goal
- MOVE YOUR HOOP WITH YOU - Anchor mounting offers the strength of concrete and the option to unbolt and move goal
- FLEXES UNDER PRESSURE - Tempered glass backboard and pro-style breakaway rim that flexes under pressure
- POWDER-COATED PROTECTION - Powder-coated steel pole height adjusts from 7.5’ to 10’ with all-steel actuator
- BACKED BY 5-YEAR LIMITED WARRANTY - Product is backed by a 5-year limited warranty and includes backboard pad
Here's another in-ground basketball system for avid basketball players that can go toe-to-toe with other renowned brands when it comes to the mid-range sphere of basketball hoops. Keep in mind that you can get the 54 or 60-inch version of the Crank Adjust.
Its tempered glass backboard is very strong and puts in a consistent performance just like you’d get with very expensive models. The Lifetime Crank Adjust has smaller components, so expect a little extra vibration when compared to the others.
You will also find a 4 x 4-inch square two-piece support pole that is durable and quality enough for a mid-range product.
The rim may not be the best on the market but it is sufficient enough when you compare it to other in-ground basketball systems. Another feature I fancy about the Crank Adjust is that the support pole has at its bottom a bolted bracket that makes it easier to level the hook.
- You get a limited warranty of 5 years
- Easier to install and level
- Bolted support pole system
- A gym-like rebound from the quality tempered glass backboard
- Quality mid-range in-ground hoop made in the USA
- For its price, the rim might seem quite underwhelming
- The offset isn’t as big as other hoops with similar pricing
- This system's steel Backboard and real Glass surface give you the look, the feel, and the power of the Pro game; tempered Glass and hardened black steel are fused together to withstand the Harshest elements
- The high-performance slam-it Ultra rim features a continuous net hook wire, securing the heavy-duty all-weather nylon net to the rim with minimal intrusion; the double-compression springs let you slam it like a Pro
- The crank adjust features a revolutionary height adjustment; simply turn the handle in a clockwise motion to raise, and counter-clockwise to lower increments from 7.5 to 10 feet
- The 2-piece square steel pole is protected with a powder-coated weather-resistant finish; the uniquely designed bolt-down pole-anchoring System allows for precision leveling
- Can Go with you if you move House; 5-Year limited warranty
This is one stylish looking in-ground basketball hoop that I find interesting. Having this product from Goalrilla gives you that professional feeling like you are on a Pro basketball court and not in your yard.
Added to the fact that I find the design to be smart, the package comes with many whistles and bells. If you want value for your money, the Goalrilla FT Series just cuts it for me.
You can get this product in different sizes of 54 inches, 60 inches, and 72 inches.
Every hoop that comes from this manufacturer has a backboard made of tempered glass material. This means you are sure of getting a good system to work on your shots, as well as solid rebounds.
I recommend that you buy the 54-inch backboard if you have a smaller driveway. But if you have a driveway of medium size that can contain up to three vehicles, you can go for the 60-inch basketball hoop.
On the other hand, consider buying the 72-inch backboard if you don't mind spending a little more money and fancy something that gives you that arena-style look. It also has a boat anchor system to allow you to move it along by unbolting the hoop should you consider relocating. You’ll find the system useful in times like that.
There's one area that I think makes this in-ground basketball hoop
exceptional and that is because the manufacturers incorporated the 3-point technology. This helps the system with the right support to make it firm and rigid. With the one-piece pole included in the support system, rest assured that the hoop gets a robust foundation. At its price, I consider it unforgivable if it doesn't have a very quality breakaway ring.
But this brand takes it a level higher by covering the spring with steel to make sure nothing like rust or corrosion affects it.
- Great aesthetics and stylish design
- Rust and erosion protection with spring steel covering
- Very firm support system due to the 3-point technology
- At this price range, it is disappointing not to have pole and backboard padding
- Your purchase includes One Goalrilla FT54 In-ground basketball hoop, anchor system and heavy weight flex rim. Review the manual before purchase as extra materials may be required before installation
- In-Ground hoop system dimensions: Backboard – 54” W x 38” H. Glass – 3/8” thick. Pole Size: 5 x 5. Rim height adjustability – 7.5 to 10”. Overhang: 3”. Rim: Heavyweight, flex
- Clear View tempered glass backboard delivers pro-style look and rebound performance
- The hoop is supported by the solid foundation of a 1-piece main pole mounted to an in-ground, concrete-cured anchor
- Before installation, have a location that is away from electric wires on the power poles. Get approval from homeowner’s association if required. Call-before-you-dig: 811 to locate any near utilities.
This is another in-ground basketball hoop that is designed to make sure players like you get the pro feeling that comes from a real basketball game experience.
The Lifetime 71799 basketball system has many quality features. When it comes to the quality of the hoop, you have premium steel and poles that stand as a symbol of excellence. Its rim stability is topnotch and is a fusion of a nylon net and heavy-duty ring. You have nothing to worry about concerning the ability of the net to withstand aggressive players.
Putting the system together shouldn't be much of a hassle as you can make one-handed adjustments while assembling.
You do not need extra hands with the system as the design makes it easy to handle. I’m not surprised because many in-ground basketball hoops that come from this manufacturer offer you assembling convenience.
I also like that you get the standard limited warranty of 5 years which protects you and gives you value for your money.
You should also know that just like similar basketball hoops from Lifetime, the 71799 system is built with rust resistance, thanks to its powder coating that protects it from decomposition and weathering.
- Warranty of 5 years
- Heavy-duty rim
- Action grip adjustment
- Adjustable height
- Slam-it Rim inclusive
- Shatterproof backboard with steel frame
- Not the most portable in-ground hoop
- In ground system with 50" steel framed shatter proof backboard; gives you the look and feel of the professional game!
- Action grip adjustment mechanism provides easy adjustment with only one hand
- Pole and steel frame are protected with a rust resitant powder coat finish to withstand the elements
- Features a heavy duty classically styled rim with all weather nylon net
- Backed by a 5-year manufacturer warranty
Best In-Ground Basketball Hoops Buying Guide
In-ground basketball hoops are some of the most common types. Despite their popularity, there is more to buying one for yourself than meets the eye. You need to be sure of the choice you’re making before spending your money.
There are critical features to consider when looking for the best in ground basketball hoop and here they are -
This is arguably the most critical factor to analyze because the support pole goes into the ground and gets its stability from concrete materials.
You want a product that comes with a pole that offers stability and strength. That's the only way you can play the game with convenience. This is why in-ground hoops are different from portable hoops. If you are looking to become a pro player in the future, buying an in-ground hoop with a great support pole is your best option.
For the benefit of rookies, the round ring that your ball goes through is known as the rim. This is another important aspect to consider because you want an in-ground hoop that comes with a durable rim.
Always go for rims that are built with top-quality materials but keep in mind that you might have to spend more. However, they will serve you for long and are built to withstand rust.
Another critical component to look at is the backboard regardless of whether you are buying a wall-mounted, portable, or in-ground hoop.
A backboard of low-quality only gets you a low playing experience and reduces how much satisfaction you get.
This is one factor that dictates the bouncing of your ball. Always look out for backboards made of very fine quality materials. If you decide to go for low-end backboards, find one that is made of polycarbonate materials.
But I recommend going for the best quality to the extent that you can and my top pick would be glass backboards. That is because they are more durable, as well as advanced and functional.
Buying the best quality basketball hoops always commands a significantly larger price. That’s why you have to be careful when choosing a product. Make sure you go for one that ranks highly in terms of durability. You can tell an in-ground basketball hoop that will be durable based on the materials used in its creation.
Always verify that the backboard, rim, and pole are all made of top-quality materials. You also want to make sure that the metal parts have some sort of painting or covering to protect them from rust. Always go for glasses ahead of polycarbonate.
You don’t just step into the market without a plan and spend on the very first product you see. That will be a grave mistake and, unfortunately, I see a lot of people do that. You need to decide what your budget is and work with that.
Never make the mistake of buying a product that isn’t affordable to you. Yes, the very best products require a lot because of their high pricing but this is only recommended for professional players.
For casual players looking to catch fun now and then with your loved ones, do not spend all you have to get an in-ground basketball hoop. Decide what your budget is before making a choice.
You may not know this but the mechanism used in adjusting the height is very important, especially if you are not a professional player.
You want an in-ground basketball hoop that allows you to make height adjustments with ease, depending on your needs. So, go for a tool that can be customized while increasing convenience.
What are your needs? What are you looking for in the best in ground basketball hoop? Your ability to identify your needs and requirements makes it easier to identify the best product. You need to look at your playing space and environment, as well as other conditions like the weather in your local area.
Do you have casual needs or are you looking to go professional? When you consider all these, you put yourself in the best position to make a perfect choice.
Another aspect to consider before making a decision is the overhang. You want something that is fixed to allow you easy access to the system. You should be able to change it to suit different conditions such as the tournament or the players' height.
In-Ground Basketball Hoop FAQs
How much does it cost to install an in-ground basketball hoop?
Expect to spend around $400 to $500 to install an in-ground system. This is what it will take to get a professional to do the installation and will cover the materials, as well as labor and trips. But you won't spend that much to mount a wall or roof system because you don’t need to pay for the cost of materials and you can complete the assembly in one trip.
How deep do you bury a basketball goal?
A 4 ft. deep hole should be dug. Then, put the pole in place inside the hole before covering it up with concrete.
Can you put a portable basketball hoop in the ground?
In-ground basketball hoops are sturdier because you install them inside the ground. They are built for very serious basketball players. In the case of portable basketball hoops, you can dismantle the pole to easily move and install it.
Is sand or water better for basketball hoops?
Water has a lesser density when compared to sand. Using sand makes your basketball hoop system more stable and prevents it from tipping. But you will have to spend more to get sand than if you decided to use water. However, people who live in cold regions will experience the water freezing and possibly cracking the base.
When it comes to buying the best in ground basketball hoop, you'll find different products from different brands on the market. Your ability to determine your preferences and needs puts you in a solid position to make a great buying decision. Products from Lifetime offer you a range of choices but you can also find quality hoops from other brands.
What you think of the rewards and exclusivity that come from having your basketball hoop, it's easy to see the value you get for your money. Always go for quality because it guarantees that your in-ground basketball hoop will serve you for a long time to come so you can keep playing with your loved ones.